We were quick to translate our digital designs onto fabric, and decided to print off all the ones we had done to show a greater variation, and then we could decide on finals once we had seen the final print quality on fabric. We also managed to laser cut the numbers out of a sheer fabric, and this began to look quite exciting once it was overlaid on the digital designs.
At this point we were ready to draw the final line-up using inspiration from draping we had done previously with oversized mens shirts.
This helped us think about shapes and sizing. Our idea was basing the collection on school uniforms, to reflect the idea of children and their innocence. We went for the oversized shirts to symbolise when children get new uniforms at the beginning of term, and how they button things up wrong and wear shirts inside out. This gave the garments a fuller meaning and emphasised the serious issue of child trafficking.
After this I photoshopped some of our designs onto these drapes to see how they could potentially look.
Draping fabrics was a new experience for me, and I found it to be a great way to get designs into context. Also I felt inspired to get more involved in this way of working in future projects for a fashion context.
This is a fast paced 2 week collaborative project with fashion and textiles. As part of a live brief for Liberation Kilt company (http://liberationkilt.com) we are required to design a collection of 6 prints/fashion garments in response to human trafficking which were required to work alongside the tartan of the kilt co.
We came up with our idea straight away which was to look at statistics and facts in human trafficking, particularly the ones on children. We felt by using typography and numbers in the designs would have more of a visual impact than imagery, and the message would be very clear in the designs. From this we researched facts and then moved on to sketchbook work altogether – this allowed us to share work and bounce ideas off of each other.
From these sketchbook pages we went on to taking the drawings digitally to create some initial pattern designs. These can be seen below.
The main focus of these designs was to have some sort of hidden message or face running through, which would have to be looked at closely to be seen. We had also planned that once these were printed on fabric, there would be a second layer on a sheer fabric with laser cut numbers and statistics as well. It was exciting to be working at such a fast pace as this meant that we didn’t have time to waste and it motivated us to do the work.
Getting back from the Easter break we made a decision on the final collection…
The printed samples are to scale at A3 size, with small swatches on cotton satin to show application to fabric. The woven samples are also to scale at current for smaller contexts such as cushions, but in order to be woven larger, strips of whole jean leg could be used for length.
I also applied these designs into a variety of contexts. These give a better impression of how the designs can be applied into the interior contexts. By using relevant interior images to Hiut denim, this helps to emphasise the designs reflect the ethos of the brand.