PLACEMENT WITH ELEPHANT AND FEATHER

Ba2a, YEAR 2

Over the past week I have been on a work placement with a local company to me called Elephant and Feather. They are a quirky and individual gift shop in Potton, Bedfordshire. (https://www.facebook.com/elephantandfeather/) (http://www.elephantandfeather.co.ukI have undertaken a range of tasks over a few days, which has helped me to understand a lot more about running your own business and all the elements about what is involved and what you need to know.

The first day involved working from the home office, where all the personalised prints are created, cut and framed before heading to the shop. I was given the task to come up with some designs for age/number birthday cards, which I found quite challenging. Diving in head first to sketches is an unusual way of working for me as I am so used to undertaking lots of research before I start drawing. However I overcame this by just sketching out the first things that came to mind, and after lunch I began to put them on illustrator to get a feel for how they could look.

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 21.33.30

My brief was for them to be funny or quirky, with use of bright colour. Imagery wasn’t a requirement, but I tried it out in a couple and I think these are the more successful designs. My aim was for the designs to be in the style of Elephant and Feather so they would be appropriate to be in the shop, and I feel the two designs with illustrations fit the brief of quirky more than just the ones with type.

On the second and third days I worked in the shop and was given a few tasks, one of which being visual merchandising. As the new stock had arrived, it was necessary to rearrange the display to fit everything in.

The above pictures show the before of the display. It was my challenge to reorder the stock whilst keeping relevant categories together. I noticed there was a lot of animal themed products so chose to focus on that as the main point of the display, as you will see in the images below.

Children’s products are very difficult to merchandise, as the display has to look appealing, however I find because of the vast range of colours and shapes it can often look messy. Overall I am pleased with how the display turned out, and I learnt a lot about things like selling points, and featuring certain products in certain spaces, which really makes them more sellable compared to when they are tucked behind other objects.

I really enjoyed the few days I spent with Elephant and Feather, and it has given me a heads up about what I want to do myself in the future. I feel confident about producing my own work, and selling my designs as prints or cards is definitely something I am considering doing. It is now down to more research and other placements to help guide me along with this.

Advertisements

GROUP COLLABORATION – PART 3

Ba2a, YEAR 2

As I did with my own colours, we came together as a group to mix up our 4 chosen colours and test how they looked against each other before printing.

group colours

This was a quicker process than when I worked on my own, as we all took a colour each to mix up and test, referring to each other for help and questions.

Printing day came around quickly, and we were happy to be printing at the beginning of the week as we were excited to see the outcome.

It took a while to set up our screens, as it is vital they are all measured accurately against the printing tables so that the repeat lines up without it being obvious where the cut line is. Once this was done it was time to apply to colour, and it has to be done 1 colour at a time, each being done in 2 stages so as not to disturb the wet print and also to allow the screen to dry in between washes.

I think we worked really well as a team for the whole day, as we were constantly being productive. This included taking it in turns to wash the screens, taping up the next screen ready for printing and drying off the print.

The colours are not quite what we thought they were going to be due to an error in scaling up the recipe, however I am still delighted with the outcome, and feel all of our hard work has paid off.

GROUP COLLABORATION – PERSONAL COLOUR WAY

Ba2a, YEAR 2

Before the weekend, I spent 2 days in the print room mixing up colours and testing them before we created the final repeat print. It took a long time for me to get my own colours right, however I was ensuring accuracy so that the print would look the best that it could.  In the future I would possibly start the colour testing a little earlier because of how long it took, especially as I want to ensure 100% precision.

It was exciting once I started testing the colours as they were how I had envisaged them whilst I was doing looking at the WGSN trend report. Colour Testing

It was important that I tested the order of the colours layering up as well, to ensure that they would work against each other and would be visible once other layers had been placed on top.

Before the design was printed, I created a digital mock up of how the outcome would potentially look in my colour way. This was a relatively quick task, as I already had the black and white version from the one I used to create the group colours. I used the eyedropper tool to get the colours from the Pantone colour palette, and placed the on the layers I thought most appropriate for each colour. I was pleased with this design and looking forward to seeing the final print in the flesh.

Below shows the comparison between the digital and printed samples.

Overall I am pleased with my own print, and happy that the colours came out how I had planned. As a S/S 18 colour trend, the design has a cool and light summery feel, and would be appropriate for a variety of applications such as bedding for interiors, or a fun summer skirt.