I was feeling inspired after the repeat pattern workshop, so I decided to head down to the print room to experiment with possibilities in my work. I was interested in the build up of the layers, so I have used 3 different printing methods on all of my samples.
Base: I started with plain white cotton, and then dyed all the samples with procion, using either a cut out stencil from newsprint or just an open screen for a block of colour.
Layer 1: I then printed shapes over the top using pigment ink and binder. This was to create a solid colour over the top, rather than them blending together. I like the solidness of binder, and the rigid feel it brings to the fabric.
Layer 2: To add another texture that was certain to stand into the foreground, I opted for foiling. The metallic idea stemmed from looking at the circuit boards, which I noticed had a lot of silver lines running through them. The silver lifts the designs, and finishes off the layering with a strong focal point.
These designs have left me with a good understanding of my processes, and with new ideas for how to develop them further.
It is important to be selective with your colour palette, and before the workshop I had already started working in just CMYK colours (Cyan, Magenta, Yellow, Key Black). My reasoning for these 4 colours is I am looking at computers which are linked to printers, and printers work by layering these 4 colours over each other to create further colours. Secondly, the products from the brand museum have all been printed out, therefore will have been generated from CMYK. Therefore, I have every reason to work with these colours yet not be limited to, as I can experiment with layering them over each other within my work which will lead to unexpected outcomes.
In this workshop we were beginning to develop our drawings into becoming a large scale pattern. By choosing between 4 and 6 motifs, we had to cut each motif out 6 times, and then rearrange them on the paper in a repeat pattern style. As I already had my chosen colour palette, I had prepared large pieces of paper in the appropriate colours, which gave me an advantage in having accurate colours.
I feel as though my design works well, the textures from the printed paper really give that handmade quality and add a bit of depth to an otherwise flat piece of work. The colours work very well together, however I feel the white background doesn’t allow the colours to pop as much as they potentially could. I also notice I did not use any black within the design, therefore I could try this again but on black paper to see how that colour way would work. Another way I could develop the design would be to rotate the motifs around, particularly the letter ‘P’. The rotation would add lively movement to the design and also help it look less like typography.
Completing this workshop has opened my eyes as to how simple it can be to create a design, and has inspired me to start working outside of my sketchbook more often. I am now aiming to complete a few more drawings, and then approach this way of working again, which I will then be able to move forward into printing onto cloth.
One of the creative drawing workshops I have undergone already was about using collage to draw with. Collage is a method I am definitely familiar and comfortable with, so I was excited to get started on creating pieces.
The workshop was set up to a time schedule, where we had approximately 20 minutes per collage, developing a new technique with each one we created. They were all to be A6 in size.
This is the most abstract collage I created, whereby I focused on using pieces that represented the photograph rather than cutting and drawing exactly the right shapes. It works well where the layers stick off the edges of the paper, allowing freedom of not being restricted to a box.
This collage was instructed to include use of line, and I decided to draw the typography onto the textured background. I think that this piece how it sits now is almost too ‘obvious’ with the text how it is, I would be interested to fill it up a bit more, then cut it up and collage it back together in a different way. This would then break up the boldness of the type and bring it back round to the idea of collage, rather than a drawing on top of a collaged background.
The use of line was also a requirement with this third sample. I chose to keep it very simple, as the stripes in the background are very intense. I am pleased with the way I used chunks of magazine text to cut into larger letters, as I feel this adds depth and texture to what otherwise would be very plain. This contrast in textures is something I need to develop further, as this will help with the overall idea of hybrid within the project.
With this collage it was about focusing on layering. As I am familiar with Photoshop, I understand the importance of layers and how even a slight shift can change the entire look of a piece. I did not finish this collage in time to fill up the whole of the background, however it does begin to layer up well. The tracing paper allowed for you too see the underneath drawings, without them dominating and becoming too much to look at.